Orthokeratology atSouthern Optical
Imagine the freedom of being able to see clearly without glasses or contact lenses?
Do you like the idea of being glasses free to go to the beach, pool, gym, playing sport or socialising?
Orthokeratology can offer this freedom. It involves the fitting of specially designed contact lenses that are worn when sleeping overnight. These lenses gently reshape the front surface of the eye (cornea). The reshaping changes the contour of the cornea allowing for clear vision the following day after the lenses are removed.
Who is suitable for Orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology is perfectly suited to anybody with low to moderate myopia who wants clear natural vision all day, every day.
- Mild to moderate myopia (-0.75 to –5.00D)
- Mild astigmatism up to -1.50D
- Active individuals or those with occupational demands not suited to standard RGP or disposable contact lenses
- Lose their contacts easily, or suffer from allergies from some contact lenses
- Have considered refractive surgery because of the freedom it provides, but are worried about the risks
- Have difficulty with dry eyes from air conditioning, computer use or dusty environments
- Find soft contact lenses do not fulfil the comfort demands their lifestyle places on their eyes
Orthokeratology and Myopia (short-sighted) Control
Our optometrists fit “ortho-k” lenses to control myopia progression in children. Studies have shown significant reduction in myopic progression when comparing children wearing ortho-k contact lenses to those wearing conventional glasses.
Call 9528 6991 today for an assessment to see if Ortho-K is right for you.
A corneal topographer is used to create three-dimensional maps of the corneas. The maps are sent to a contact lens laboratory where custom gas permeable orthokeratology lenses are produced.