We are pleased to offer a wide range of fashion eyewear for our patients including Oroton, Ted Baker, Ray Ban, Carrera, Swarovski, Wayne Cooper, Guess, Esprit, Nicola Finetti, Maui Jim, Furla, Convertible and more……..
Our professional staff will assist you in selecting eyewear that will be most appropriate to your face and lens prescription, this process will include factors such as style and colour, as well as sizing for proper fit and comfort.
With over 700 frames on display we have all styles and budgets catered for.
New Technology in Spectacle Lenses
There are many exciting advances in the designs and materials for spectacle lenses:
- Digital lens surfacing to optimise spectacle prescriptions and reduce lens distortion
- High Index Materials for thinner & lighter lenses
- Aspheric Lens Design for flatter, less bulgy, lenses
- UV Blockers to prevent the transmission of harmful Ultra Violet radiation
- Photo-sensitive Materials that change colour in response to sunlight
- Progressive Lenses for people who want clear vision at all distances.
- Occupational Lenses with special designs for different tasks, like VDU operators
- Anti-fatigue lenses to reduce eyestrain for people who spend long hours at computers and digital devices
- Blue light filters to filter out blue light from digital devices which can suppress the natural release of melatonin, causing disrupted sleep.
- Multicoat also known as anti-reflection coat which improves lens clarity and reduces eye fatigue.
Together these provide for thinner and lighter lenses, offering improved optics and a sight correction which is more natural. Our main suppliers are Hoya, Nikon and Essilor who are trusted names in optical lens manufacturing.
Don’t let the harsh Australian sunlight damage your eyes. At Southern Optical we have a wide range of sunglasses to protect your eyes from harmful UV light and to get you seeing clearer. We recommend polarised lenses for visual comfort, enhanced contrast and colour perception, reducing eyestrain, improving clarity of vision and glare reduction.
They say that all good things come in small packages, and this is certainly true for contact lenses! The latest contact lens technologies deliver you convenience, health and comfort so that you can live your life to the fullest. Today almost everyone who wears glasses, including children, can enjoy the freedom and convenience of contact lenses. Conditions correctable with contact lenses include:
- Shortsightedness (blurred distance vision)
- Longsightedness (blurry or strained vision)
- Astigmatism (visual distortion)
- Presbyopia (blurred near vision that occurs as we age)
Contact Lens Designs
- Spherical contact lenses have the same lens power throughout the entire optical part of the lens to correct myopia (short-sightedness) and hyperopia (long-sightedness).
- Toric soft contact lenses have different powers in different meridians of the lens to correct astigmatism as well as myopia or hyperopia.
- Multifocal contact lenses (including bifocal lenses) contain different power zones for near and far vision. They are often used for patients over 40 years of age allowing them to see clearly in the distance and at near without wearing glasses.
- Orthokeratology lenses are specially designed hard contact lenses that are worn when sleeping overnight. These lenses gently reshape the front surface of the eye (cornea). The reshaping changes the contour of the cornea allowing for clear vision the following day after the lenses are removed.
- Extended wear contacts are made from materials that allow more oxygen to reach the front of the eye. They are designed to be worn continuously (day and night) for between 7 to 30 days depending on the lens type.
If you’re thinking about trialling contact lenses for the first time or have simply taken a break from wearing them, you’ll need to book in for a contact lens consultation with one of our experienced optometrists. During a contact lens consultation your eligibility will be assessed and the right contact lenses for your lifestyle fitted. All this, with your comfort, safety and vision clarity in mind.